How Old? 25 Classic Albums By Young Artists

It was July 1954; Elvis Presley was at Sun Studios in Memphis recording a five year old country hit, he was nineteen years old. The song was included on Elvis’s debut album that came out on 23 March 1956; Elvis, like practically every other popular music artists of the rock and roll era, probably gave little thought to his longterm career. In fact he would have maybe been a little surprised if he could have known that he would still be playing concerts two decades later. Tragically Elvis was to die in 1977, even on the day of his passing he was due to fly out of Memphis for a gig; Elvis Presley was 42 years old.

Today we accept it as common place that stars from the last 50 or so years are still touring and still making records. The late, great, B.B. King only stopped touring shortly before he passed away at 89 years old and the list of septuagenarian rock stars is led by the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, Roger Daltrey, The Beach Boys and soon Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and a string of other artists will join this elite band of brothers. Like Elvis few would have thought they would still be doing what they do best all those years later.

Many of these singers and bands are still performing tracks from albums they recorded 40 or 50 years ago and we thought it would be interesting to cast your minds back, with a little help from us, as to just how young many of them were when they made career defining records, classic albums and some of the greatest music of the modern era.

These are the ages that the artists were when they began recording the album. What classic albums do you really like in which the protagonists are young?

Pete Townshend 23, Roger Daltrey 24 Keith Moon 22 and John Entwistle 23
Tommy
Axel Rose 24, Slash 21, Izzy Stradlin 24, Duff McKagan 23, and Steven Adler 22
Appetite-For-Destruction
Bob Dylan was 21
Dylan
Buddy Holly was 20
the-crickets-thatll-be-the-day-brunswick-3
Eric Clapton 22 Jack Bruce 24 Ginger Baker 27
cream-disraeli-gears
Elton John was 23, Bernie Taupin was 19 when he wrote the lyrics to all the songs on the album.
Elton_John_-_Tumbleweed_Connection
Duane Allman 24 and Gregg Allman 23
Allmans
Stevie Wonder was 22, 10 years after recording his debut!
Innervisions
Jimi Hendrix was 23, Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell were both 20
the_jimi_hendrix_experience___are_y_2005697470
Prince was 25
Prince
Michael Jackson was 20
michael-jackson-off-the-wall_edited-1
Van the Man was 23
astral-weeks
Elvis Presley was 19
Elvis
Eric Clapton was 25, Duane Allman 24, Bobby Whitlock 22 Jim Gordon 25 and Carl Radle 28
LAYLA-COVER-FLAT
Bono 22, The Edge 20, Adam Clayton 22 and Larry Mullen Jr 20
u2-war
Kurt Cobain 24, Krist Anthony Novoselic 26 and Dave Grohl 22
Nirvana
Miles Davis 23 and Gerry Mulligan 21
Birth of cool
Brian Wilson 23, Mike Love 24, Carl Wilson 18, Dennis Wilson 20, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston 23
Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds
Mark Farner and Don Brewer 20, Mel Schacher 18
grand-funk-4fb177071c299
Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan 24 Jon Lord 28 Ian Paice 21 Roger Glover 23
Purple in rock
Mick and Keith 24, Brian Jones 26, Bill Wyman 31 and Charlie Watts 26
Beggars Ban

1. Kandee Riggio

March 22, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Where the heck is Free???

• uDiscover

March 22, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Really good suggestion!

• bruce

April 4, 2015 at 3:25 am

whot about t rex mark bolan

• Luciana

March 22, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Totally agree with you! They were so young at the release of “Tons of Sobs”. Such a masterpiece.

• lane

March 23, 2015 at 8:02 pm

glad others out there know about Ton of Sobs,to me the best album Free did

• keith Rowley

March 22, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Too right tons of sobs

• Mark Hall

March 23, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Love the band Free.

• Barry

March 24, 2015 at 3:48 am

My thoughts exactly!

• Pat

March 31, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Paul Kossoff: what an amazing guitarist. And Paul Rodgers, fine vocals.

• Ray

February 4, 2018 at 3:03 am

And Simon Kirke, drums

• Giko

April 2, 2015 at 4:50 pm

absolutely right!
      and what about Pearl Jam´s debut Ten?

2. Gabe Gabrielsky

March 22, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Except, sorry folks. Birth of the Cool was not an album. It was a collection of 12 singles recorded over 4 recording sessions in 1949 and 1950, only later to be reconceptualized as an album by the producer of the original sessions, Stan Kenton arranger, Pete Rugolo. Also, execpting for his Christmas albums and movie soundtracks virtually all of Elvis’s so-called “albums were really only collections of his singles.

• uDiscover

March 22, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Virtually every album back in this era was a collection of songs, but there’s no denting that Birth of the Cool was released as a long playing record, so it qualifies! As for Elvis, well he was not along, many LPs from this era were a collection of singles etc. It was still an LP though…so it again qualifies. Anyway, it’s a bit of fun and it’s interesting to get people thinking about the sheer audacity of Miles and Gerry in particular.

• Philip James

April 3, 2015 at 10:27 pm

The point of this article, is to acknowledge how young the artists were, when they were made. For those who’d previously recorded the singles that were later put together into LPs, they were THAT much younger, making it even more significant! So it’s really irrelevant, for THIS article, whether they were LPs first, or singles gathered together into collections.

3. super stevens

March 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm

What about Selling England by the Pound by Genesis? The oldest ones, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were barely 23 and this is a masterpiece!

• uDiscover

March 22, 2015 at 7:34 pm

That’s a really good addition!

• Rosie

March 23, 2015 at 5:55 am

Also not forgetting Trespass………considering how young they all were then that album is something of a masterpiece too…….Peter’s voice is already so mature and Ant’s guitar work mesmerising! (SEBT£ is my favourite though ;-)!)

• Bob Ridgway

March 25, 2015 at 9:27 pm

And even better Foxtrot with 22 mins of prog heaven that is SUPPERS READY making Gabriel et al about 21 ish and then Kate Bush was 16

4. Alan

March 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Where is The Doors debut record

• uDiscover

March 22, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Alan, good shout! As with any list there are always things that are missing

5. John Riddell

March 22, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Album means collection. If a photo album has photos taken in different places and times it’s still an album. Peace;-)

6. Anang Budiono

March 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I need lyric the song of Blood Sweat and Tears. In album. I love you more you’ll never know…. Maybe someone like to give me ..thanks

• Rand Stewart

April 4, 2015 at 3:17 am

If I ever leave you
      You can say I told you so
      And if I ever hurt you baby
      You know I hurt myself as well.

Is that any way for a man to carry on ?
      You think he wants his little loved one gone
      I love you baby, more than you’ll ever know
      More than you’ll ever know.

When I wasn’t makin’ too much money
      You know where my paycheck went
      You know I brought it home to baby
      And I never spent one red cent.

Is that any way for a man to carry on?
      You think he wants his little loved one gone
      I love you baby, more than you’ll ever know
      More than you’ll ever know.

I’m not tryin’ to be any kind of man
      I’m tryin’ to be somebody you can love, trust and understand
      I know that I can dream, yeah
      A part of you that no one else could see
      I just gotta hear, hear you say: ‘It’s all right, yeah, yeah, yeah’.

I’m only flesh and blood
      I can be anything that you demand
      I could president of General Motors baby, heh
      Or just a tiny little grain of sand.

Is that any way for a man to carry on?
      You think he wants his little loved one gone
      I love you babe, I love you babe
      I love you more than you’ll ever know.

Yeah
      Yeah, yeah.

If I ever leave you
      You can say I told you so
      And if I ever hurt you
      You know I hurt myself as well.

Is that any way for a man to carry on?
      You think he wants his little loved one gone
      I tried to tell I love you baby, love you baby, yeah love you baby
      I love you more than you’ll ever know, ooh yeah yeah…

I love you, I love you, I love you baby.

Well all right!
      I told you so many times before
      I love you, I love you, I love you
      If you don’t know then I’ll tell you one more time
      I love you, I love you, I love you…

Please note that this song featured lead by band creator Al Kooper rather than the more familiar David Clayton-Thomas. Beautiful.

7. John Litrenta

March 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Steve Winwood was 19 when he formed the band Traffic, 20 when their first album came out and had been with The Spencer Davis Group before that since he was 15.

• Jim J Fox

March 23, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Outstandingly wonderful both in bands and solo. What a voice, what songs, what lyrics!

8. Jim King

March 22, 2015 at 8:20 pm

“Deep Purple In Rock” was their 5th album, “Shades Of Deep Purple” came out 2 years earlier.

No one asked, but Jerry Lee Lewis’ first album came out when he was 21.

9. Matt McGrath

March 22, 2015 at 8:48 pm

What about Jason Becker? He was only 19 when he released his solo album Perpetual Burn!

• Larry

April 4, 2015 at 7:12 am

WOT?

10. Dan

March 22, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Free were a new band when they recorded Tons of Sobs March 14, 1969, and they were extremely young; none of them were yet twenty and the youngest, bassist Andy Fraser, was just sixteen years old.

11. Geoffrey Holland

March 22, 2015 at 9:37 pm

This is not a surprise. I would think that most artists and bands best works were recorded when they were younger.

12. ATSART

March 22, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Sorry, but Paul McCartney and George Harrison were not the same age.

• uDiscover

March 22, 2015 at 9:43 pm

The Beatles began recording Revolver in April 1966, Paul and George were both 23 at the time.

• Sean

March 22, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Paul was 8 months older than George

13. Shadi

March 22, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Miles Davis was born in 1926 (Wikipedia) and Birth of Cool was released on 1957 so he was 31 actually, anyway great effort

• uDiscover

March 23, 2015 at 7:17 am

As it says above, it is when the artist began recording the album, 1949 in the case of Birth of the Cool

• bruce chant

April 2, 2015 at 10:14 pm

whot about steve earle

• Nicholas Ashley

June 6, 2015 at 11:19 am

The Tracks on “Birth of the Cool’ were recorded in 1949 and 1950

14. Franklin Tanner

March 22, 2015 at 10:35 pm

rick darenger/ todd rundgren lots more were missed!

15. WCTAGG

March 22, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I have a few of these!

16. Michael Norris

March 23, 2015 at 12:19 am

Stevie Winwood with Spencer Davis & and all of Def Leppard on On Through the Nighh

17. David

March 23, 2015 at 1:12 am

Birth of the Cool material first came out on 78rpm singles, then as this 10″ long play (LP):

Classics in Jazz: Miles Davis (1954 10″ LP, Capitol H-459)

Side A

“Jeru” (Gerry Mulligan) – 3:09
    “Moon Dreams” (Chummy MacGregor, Johnny Mercer, arranged by Gil Evans) – 3:13
    “Venus de Milo” (Mulligan) – 3:05
    “Deception” (Davis, arranged by Mulligan) – 2:42

Side B

“Godchild” (George Wallington, arranged by Mulligan) – 3:02
    “Rocker” (Mulligan) – 2:59
    “Israel” (Johnny Carisi) – 2:12
    “Rouge” (John Lewis) – 3:07

Classics in Jazz was a series title for a number of reissues of older jazz material on the Capitol label in 10 inch LP format. The other three instrumental tracks recorded by the Nonet were released on various artists compilations in the Classics in Jazz series.[51] The Modern Idiom (Capitol H-325)[52] included “Budo” in 1952, Trumpet Stylists (Capitol H-326)[53] included “Move”, and Cool & Quiet (Capitol H-371)[54] included “Boplicity” in 1953.

18. larry

March 23, 2015 at 1:13 am

The Kinks First album was released in late 1964
    Dave was 17
    Ray and Mick were 20
    Pete was almost 21
    You Really Got Me was released in the Summer of 64
    Though their first realy good/great album wasn’t for another year and a half or so

• Howard

April 2, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Why are you highlighting the Kinks’ first album ? The article is about great albums which have been written, performed and recorded by musicians at a particularly young age. ‘Kinks’ is not a great album, most of the album songs are covers.

19. Zeerak

March 23, 2015 at 5:26 am

Oh man you have to add Closer by Joy Division, they were all early 20s (though I don’t remember specific ages).
    Great list though!

20. nightfly_dp

March 23, 2015 at 5:51 am

Submission: Aqualung – Jethro Tull:

Ian Anderson – 23
    Martin Barre – 25
    Clive Bunker – 24
    John Evan – 22
    Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond – 24
    Glenn Cornick – 23

That was their 4th album, but considered the signature. Anderson was 20 when Tull was formed.

21. Jacob

March 23, 2015 at 9:32 am

Where’s Frogstomp by Silverchair?

22. Ben Finn

March 23, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Nick Drake- Five Leaves Left

23. MikeGaines

March 23, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Arctic Monkeys-Whatever people say I am is what I’m not. They were all mid to late teens, broke records for debut sales and had one of the best records of the 2000s.

24. Dan

March 23, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Good review, would have liked to see respect for the Black Crowes…their shake your money maker album saved traditional raw Rock N Roll against nirvana and grunge…

25. Dr. Winston O'Boogie

March 24, 2015 at 12:45 am

How old was Eddie Van Halen when the debut LP was released?

26. Mark May

March 24, 2015 at 2:54 am

This really amuses me 90 percent at least, surely, of classic rock albums and songs would have be recorded by people in their teens and early 20’s I would be more interested in a list of classic rock albums created by people in their 50’s 60’s or even 70’s. When your young you have that great creative spurt, the pressure is less. As you get older to got to come up with new ideas, ideas that don’t sound an echo of earlier work. So go and find classic albums by musicians in this age group (they are out there) and I’ll be more impressed.

27. Martin Hubbard

March 24, 2015 at 10:39 pm

I question some of the stated ages in particular the Beatles. You state Paul and George as the same age when it is common knowledge that George was 2 years younger and Ringo is actually older than John. I am aware of the ages of Clapton and the members of Zeppelin and they are accurate so I’m assuming most are correct. The most interesting observation is that around 95% of the world’s greatest rock artists where all born during the 1940’s. I wonder if the post war optimism had any influence being passed on to the children at the time?

28. Adam Tobin

March 25, 2015 at 1:55 am

The Beach about entry is incorrect. Carl Wilson was 19 and Dennis was 21 when Pet Sounds was recorded.

29. Dennis Peck

March 25, 2015 at 3:52 am

Elvis Presley was 21 when much of his first album was recorded, although 5 of the tracks were left over from his Sun sessions and he would have been 19 when he recorded a couple of them.

30. John Knutson

March 25, 2015 at 3:59 am

Procol Harum! – everyone in the band was 22 or younger when the first album was made.

31. tom

March 25, 2015 at 5:34 am

The amazing part of the Beach Boys and the Beatles albums is how many albums they had released before these albums and how young they were.

32. Joey

March 25, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Blind Faith?

33. cistow

March 25, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Where is the velvet underground and nico ? it is a masterpiece

34. lost patrol

March 25, 2015 at 9:56 pm

how about The Stooges debut album ?

35. Milan

March 25, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Mike Oldfield was only twenty when he released his debut album Tubular Bells at 1973.

36. Smiley Smile

March 26, 2015 at 1:15 am

….and Pet Sounds was actually The Beach Boys 11th studio album. Staggering.

37. Forest

March 26, 2015 at 6:46 am

Alice Cooper band started right after High School. I yhink they were all about 19 when third album “Love It To Death” broke for them.

38. ruben

March 26, 2015 at 8:02 am

I was 14 years old when I first heard in rock with non english knowledge whatsoever but I was capture by heaviest sounds of deepest and coolest of this record mark my life for ever

39. jonny owen

March 28, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The Doors and Free are notable omissions, but what about the Floyd’s Piper at the Gates of Dawn. And what is the commercial flop album Layla & Assorted doing there?

• Vaughan Sinclair

March 28, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Because it was and Still Is Good!, Jonny-boy. A kid like You needs understand the difference between $$$ and Talent. So, go back to The Archie’s! How many people who recorded these L.P.’s thought “This will make Millions?”

40. Vaughan Sinclair

March 28, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Why is Layla here? It is a fantastic L.P., That’s Why. Go back to the Archie’s or the first Nancy Sinatra record. This is where We talk Rock!

41. Mister Ron

March 29, 2015 at 2:45 am

How about Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Dion and the Belmonts, and Ronnie Hawkins backup group The Hawks (later known as The Band).

42. rpmcb

March 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Left out Traffic and Def Leopard, Wasted and Rock Brigade are still 2 of my favorite Def Lep songs, from the debut album On Trough the Night, and Tommy James

43. Micha

April 2, 2015 at 1:16 pm

What about Pink Floyds The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? Syd was 21, Roger 23…
    And it’s an epic masterpiece!

44. Russ Cox

April 2, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I think The Jams All Mod Cons should be on this list too Paul Weller was 20, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler 22

45. Richard

April 2, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Rush? When 2112, their third album and first big hit, came out, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson were 22, and Neil Peart was 23.

• Steve

April 15, 2015 at 9:53 am

sure that must be a typo.

2112 was the fourth album and I think the first time they toured the UK.

46. Giko

April 2, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I´m missing Chicago´s – Chicago Transit Authority (Walter 24, Terry 23, Danny & Jimmy 20, Lee 21 and Robert 25) and what about STP´s debut Core (Robert 26, Dean 29, Eric 26 and Scott 25).
    And not to forget: Queen´s – A Night At The Opera (Freddie 29, Roger 26, Brian 28 and John 24)

47. L.A. Gotshalk

April 2, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Though outside the mainstream, Spirit, Spirit’s first album, and a classic, was written and recorded when Randy California was 16-17 years old. A true prodigy if there ever was one.

48. Mary Bowles

April 2, 2015 at 8:49 pm

How about the Moody Blues…Days of Future Passed

• Peter Lauritzen

April 3, 2015 at 9:25 am

I agree, Mary. Great innovative album

49. Tim

April 2, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Tommy Stinson was seventeen when The Replacements recorded Let It Be.

50. Olav

April 2, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Ramones–Ramones (1976)
    Deja Vu–CSN&Y

51. Timmy2Chicks

April 3, 2015 at 6:15 am

“Where is every other album by every other band?” asked everyone here. Come on people, they can’t list every good album ever made! Just do the research and list it yourself if you think said band should be included.

52. Dizzychick

April 7, 2015 at 8:35 am

I saw a pencil
    walk in the White Spot!

53. rob

April 9, 2015 at 12:55 pm

How can McCartney write songs like Eleanor Rigby and Here, There and Everywhere when he was only 23?

54. Michael Leary

April 9, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Robert Fripp was only 23 when King Crimson released “The Court Of The Crimson King”, one of the seminal and most influential progressive rock albums ever created.

55. Steve

April 15, 2015 at 10:00 am

What about The Skids – Scared to Dance album released when they were all only early to mid twenties.

56. Rodrigo

April 15, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Todd Rundgren was 23 when he put out Something/Anything?… it’s somewhat of an overlooked record, but I would say it’s one of the best double LPs ever made.

57. elisdad44

June 6, 2015 at 4:29 pm

I suppose at 23 Pete Townshend was young enough not care that he pretty much stole, if not the actual music, lyric and story, the feel, the sound, and the concept of SF Sorrow from Phil May and the Pretty Things. Though most now acknowledge that Pete took something from the Pretty Things, albeit, usually with such caveats as “well Tommy is the better album any way”, they still can’t picture him listening to SF Sorrow non-stop for four days before coming up with “his” allegedly better concept, story and music. Well to me Overture sounds just like SF Sorrow is born, though not nearly as good. And yes the Pretty’s story seemed confusing at the time, least until the movie Jaccob’s Ladder came out and then their story’s theme became quite apparent thanks to movie’s visualization of that same theme. However, if you prefer the story of the hip new Helen Keller stunning the world with pinball prowess, well to each his own.

58. Guytar

June 6, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Grand Funk was not their debut album, it was GFR 2nd LP. A masterpiece though! On Time was a year earlier. Great pick though. A real rock band.

59. Michael Ronayne

June 7, 2015 at 7:33 am

going in the other direction i ‘ve heard that Ed Cassidy was seeing a woman who’s son , Randy California was forming a band in need of a drummer , and we get the band “Spirit ” with the oldest man in rock n roll.

60. r

June 18, 2015 at 12:56 am

This is silly r&r is a young mans game. NOBODY wants to see a old guy. Its the flavor of the month & goodbye & typically a 1st album is the best for most. Im just saying when you get old you play what you wrote when you were young if anyone even still cares. Like Townsend had anything memorable lately. Silly article & lemming comments.

61. Matt

July 5, 2015 at 11:19 pm

If anything, it’s surprising how OLD some of these people were – 24, 30? Rock’n’Roll is a young man’s game, I’d suspect most classic albums were made by musicians in their early 20s. As another person pointed out, a list of classic albums made by people over the age of 30 would be more interesting and enlightening (heavy metal icon Dio was over 40 when he recorded his FIRST solo album, “Holy Diver” and 67 when he did the well-received Heaven & Hell “Devil You Know”). Or maybe, under the age of 20; Michael Schenker was 16 or 17 when he played on the Scorpions’ debut album, and while not a well-known album, his guitar playing is fantastic. Rick Allen was only about 16 or 17 when recording Def Leppard’s debut and maybe 20 when their classic “Pyromania” came out.

62. Wouter Vuijk

September 29, 2015 at 11:29 am

Don’t forget that Fleetwood Mac’s 3rd album, the mesmerizing “Then Play On” was released in september 1969.
    At that time Peter Green (22), Mick Fleetwood (22), John MacVie (23), Danny Kirwan (19) and Jeremy Spencer (21) were also in their teens and early 20’s.

63. Bill

September 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Peter Frampton was 16 when he played with humble pie. Sammy Hagar was 17 and played with Ronnie Montrose

• Wouter Vuijk

September 29, 2015 at 11:19 pm

As much as I like Peter Frampton, this is a discussion about classic ALBUMS(!) by young artists, not about young musicians that made a career.

64. Michael Bounds

October 31, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Erik Keith Brann was 17 when Iron Butterfly’s “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” was released. He joined the group when he was 16.

65. virgil wilson

December 31, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Gene Vincent and a lot more Rockabilly are not mentioned.

66. duilama

March 21, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Well, well, well, I would like to know if most of them were living in their parents’ basement and had no bills to pay, no food to worry and stoned out of their mind. The funny thing in music is if you don’t hit it big while you are young, you will not make it, how many of them have to pay their due like Bonnie Raitt. And Even she hit it big, she could not sustain, like these younger big names, she is now making gigs in casinos and small theaters.

67. marc

April 28, 2016 at 5:13 pm

and Hanson? where’s Hanson? 😛

68. Barry Horsebutter

April 8, 2017 at 3:19 pm

U2’s ages are all wrong. Bono and Adam were 23 and Edge and Larry 22.

69. Chris Squires

April 10, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Kate Bush was 13 when she wrote “The Man with the Child in His Eyes” and most of the Kick Inside was written between 13 and 16, Wuthering Heights completed when she was just 18. The Kick inside was release when she was just 19.

Mike Oldfield, similarly, had Tubular Bells (or Opus One) written by the time he was 18. It took two years to get it out onto record but the work had mostly been done before he left his teens.