It’s Louis Armstrong’s Wonderful World

In 1966 Louis Armstrong and the All-Stars were slowing down. To avoid excessive traveling Satchmo and the band appeared at the Jones Beach Marine Theatre in Long Island from July to September, but the following year he once again hit the European trail appearing in Denmark, Dublin, Antibes, St. Tropez, and Majorca. Home from Europe, Louis recorded another couple of songs in New York City on 16th August 1967. When Louis was first played a demo of the song he was to record that day his reply was unequivocal, “Pops I dig it, Let’s Do It.”

It was to prove to be another momentous studio session in a career that arguably should long ago have stopped having them. Bob Thiele the producer of Satchmo’s LP with Duke Ellington took in the demo of a song that he and George Weiss had written; naturally he took it first to Joe Glaser, Pops’s manager, and then to Louis, who was performing in Washington DC. History has since revealed that Tony Bennett had first of all turned the song down flat. History has also showed it to be an enduring song, for Louis, a man in the November of his years, able to nail its sentiments perfectly; the President of ABC-Paramount Records couldn’t have disagreed more, he virtually banned the company from putting any effort into the song and in America it disappeared without trace. The song? ‘What A Wonderful World.’

If the American record company hated it, this was far from the case in Britain, where it demonstrated that you cannot keep a hot song down as it progressed steadily up the charts, reaching No.1 in the last week of April 1968 and stayed there for a month, selling well over half a million copies in the process. Today there’s not a person in the world who does not associate this song with Louis Armstrong, whether it’s because they bought it as a single, have it on one of the hundred’s of compilations it’s appeared on, heard it on the soundtrack of Good Morning Vietnam in 1988 or one of probably hundreds of adverts that have used it’s inspiring message as a sound-bed.

It’s a song that familiarity has not found contemptuous, quite simply it’s one of the most uplifting, life-affirming songs of all times – and it’s all because of Louis Armstrong. It’s Satchmo’s Wonderful World…We’ve just been lucky to have lived in it

Louis Armstrong’s What A Wonderful World is available to buy here.

Download-Stream-Buy

1. Игорь

May 5, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Люблю джаз!

2. lawrence

May 6, 2015 at 4:24 am

I still have recording of interview for radio that i did greensboro,n.c. before Satch went on stage to a packed (whuitre) coliseum house. tho no star’s dressing toom. I interviewed this GREAT performer in BASEMENT athletic lockerroom then. He could NOT stay in white hotel, but in African American home on Greensboro’;s (black) east side. I asked if he sometimes felt on perfrmance night just to heell with uit and not show up onm stgae. He just smiled, telling , me, “Naw, man, it’s for the PEOPLE>” what a great man!

3. Philip Lancer

May 6, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I love Wonderful World its a great record.

4. Mitzi

June 7, 2015 at 9:23 am

This is my all time favorite song by Louis. I cannot believe that no one wanted to back this beautiful recoding but then again, what do those people know. I remember in 1992 playing this song over and over on my tape player with my trumpet. I was learning it by ear because I didn’t have the right sheet music. I played it everyday until I got every darn note right and soon I played it perfectly. I will always love this song and I only wished it was longer and had Louis’ trumpeting on it but it’s a marvelous recording nonetheless.

• Elżbieta

June 7, 2015 at 11:29 am

Hello Mitzi, I agree with You , yes for me is the best song of Armstrong’s , I don’t know to play , but I can listen this song every day, it gives me power and desire to live 🙂

5. Gordon Hansen

June 7, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Loved it and all of his work!

6. Jerry Clarke Sr.

June 7, 2015 at 7:38 pm

One of my all time favorites. When I’m having ” one of those days ” I pick up the guitar and sing and play it. Puts things back to rights. Thanks Louis!!!

7. John Edward Boulton

June 8, 2015 at 7:00 am

Sublime. Can’t think of anyone, who could put as much into this evergreen as Louis Armstrong did and still does every time you play it.

8. Lynelle Mace

May 7, 2017 at 1:28 am

I remember one of the many headlines at the time of his passing. Which was, ‘Move over Gabriel, there is a brown man with a smile the size of a half a watermelon, on his way up there to takeover!’ Loved it, loved him.

9. Rena Crawford

October 17, 2017 at 8:38 pm

My all time favorite. Played at my som’s wdfdimg’!