News

Knopfler Speaks #2: Being A “Pretend” Everly Brother

Mark Knopfler and his band’s ‘Tracker’ tour has been winning rave notices all around Europe for the past two and a half months. Tomorrow night (Friday July 31), the European leg of the tour comes to a close at Poble Espanyol in Barcelona. “The last week in Spain has been magic,” fiddle player John McCusker tweeted today.

KnopflerBefore Mark and his distinguished company of players break for the summer holidays, returning for the North American leg in Vancouver on September 10, uDiscover has more words of wisdom from the bandleader himself. This is the second in our series of exclusive audio interview clips with Mark, and on this occasion he’s talking about early influences, current inspiration and how he goes about distilling his ideas into songs.

You’ll hear him reminisce about the thrill of working with the Everly Brothers, having been an enormous fan and a “little pretend Everly Brother, with your mate, playing your first chords. That’s a real circle of events happening,” he muses.

Knopfler also discusses his prolific productivity in the studio and on the road, and the process of taking ideas and making them “into something really, really simple, into three chords and hopefully the truth.”

‘Tracker,’ meanwhile, has been a resounding critical and commercial success, reaching No. 1 in such countries as Germany, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Austria and Belgium, and hitting the top five in the UK, Sweden, Switzerland and Italy, among other markets.

Listen to a sampler from ‘Tracker’ on Spotify
Explore our dedicated Mark Knopfler Artist Page

Download-Stream-Buy

1. EJ Cox

August 1, 2015 at 3:54 am

That’s the beauty of the studio versus the stage. You can cut, dub, change, etc. On stage it’s a straight shot and there’s no backups allowed… Mark your guitar solo’s have always been outrageously good and there are times when tears flow just from the beauty I am hearing. Your solo in Sultans of Swing was one of those but that is but one of oh so many… Play on, we enjoy your music and efforts. “Sailing to Philadelphia” story in song, was a masterpiece..

2. Bob Bentley

August 2, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I am a great fan and find myself really connecting with your songs Mark. I will never forget driving along listening to We Will Remember Them with tears down my face. What a writer, producer and performer.

3. Maria (BearMountainBooks)

August 2, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I’m a novel writer–and I LOVE how Knopfler is able to tell such great stories in a short medium. He’s got Westerns (Prairie Wedding–A favorite of this NM native), Mafia (Don’t Crash the Ambulance), Ghost stories (What It Is), Mysteries! ( On Every Street)…and on and on. Such great stories–such great talent.

4. Jim Basler

August 3, 2015 at 7:08 am

Mark is such an underrated player and composer. I would love to see him play live some day.. if only he’d come to Dallas TX

• Chris Ettner

August 4, 2015 at 8:34 pm

He will be in Dallas September 26.

5. Marin

August 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I wait 25 years to see you and it happen in 2005 in Florence, Italy. My best friends from Bologna bought us tickets to the concert. No words availble in the books to describe my pleasure when I saw you on the stage after 25 years of waiting and I was obly 20m far from the stage. Second time I took my children on your Bob Dylan Tour again in Florence. My son start playing acoustic guitar being influenced by Eric Clapton until he saw you this year again at Piazzolla sul Brenta. Now you are definately his idol. He is 12. I listen you first time when I was 13 in 1979 when I heard Once Upon a time in the west. That day mark the influence of your music on me. I didn’t know who was playing. Found out 4 years later. Was comunism on that time. Access was poor to western music.You are and you will remain my favourit musician solo or with a band.