News

You’ve Still Got Mayall

British blues godfather John Mayall, fresh from the release of the album ‘A Special Life’ which followed his 80th birthday last November, has spoken to the British press about his life and times, and his UK tour later this year.

At one point, his current international itinerary has seen Mayall and his current band play 59 gigs in 64 days, but he shows no need or desire of slowing down. “When I do the UK tour I’ll be 81,” he told Sheffield’s The Star of the tour, a huge run which begins on October 16 and lasts until November 23. Before that, he has North American dates from July clean through September, and precedes the British tour with a couple of shows in Russia.

Speaking from his home in Los Angeles, Mayall said: “I’ll go on as long as I’ve got the energy and good health, as you can probably judge from the new album. I feel as young as the musicians in my band, who are a generation younger than me. I think my body of work really speaks for itself. As long as I keep on doing it, that’s my mission in life.”

It’s 58 years now since Mayall formed the Powerhouse Four, and about 51 since the first line-up of his celebrated Bluesbreakers. He famously presided over a line-up that introduced many of the great British players of the rhythm and blues boom, from Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Peter Green to Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton and Mick Taylor. But, as ever, he declines to choose his favourite among any of the musicians he’s worked with.

“They’re all great,” he says. “You can’t compare one with the other because they all have their own personalities and take on things. That’s the mark of a good musician. They don’t sound like anyone else.”

Format: UK English

1. danny romero

June 27, 2014 at 8:37 am

HEY JOHN MAYALL , I BEEN A FAN OF YOURS SINCE 1966 OR 67 WHEN THE CRUSADE ALBUM CAME OUT , TAKE CARE .

• uDiscover

June 27, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Danny, we hear you and we’re with you…

2. Kathy

June 27, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I’ve been a fan for over 40 years, and I’m really looking forward to hearing you in Sturgis on Aug. 4!

3. Ashley Craddock

June 27, 2014 at 9:51 pm

John Mayall is still Britain’s greatest Blues father. I am 60 and have been a blues fan ever since I first heard his music. You might say it was a “Turning Point” in my life!

4. George Delport

August 25, 2015 at 12:17 pm

My first album is John Mayall plays John Mayall live at Klooks Kleek…still a fan to this day…Visit us in South Africa.

5. Steph

August 25, 2015 at 12:50 pm

John

You taught how to have Room to Move!!! 🙂 One of my all time favorites
    ..Still today! For 40yrs LoL I still play along while listening to it.

6. Patrick Cannon

August 25, 2015 at 1:20 pm

After traveling all over Europe to find Mayal I finally heard him play in person in my own living room. His Road Manager lived down the beach from me in South Laguna CA and I had him bring John over. He stayed for weeks, we went to local clubs where he would generously sit in with the local musicians. This was in the mid 70’s “A frame Daze”. He didn’t do drugs but he drank and shared his life and the blues history of the English. A true Gentleman and great musician.

7. Louis Pace

August 25, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Met you and the band years ago in the Stanhope House in NJ with Teto the original drummer. You were all great. Let us take photos back stage. And always a great show. Keep playing the Blues John.