An extensive soundtrack compilation to accompany the new Eric Clapton documentary, Life In 12 Bars, will be released on 8 June, featuring previously unreleased material. The film, a deeply personal profile of the 18-time Grammy-winner, had its London premiere on 10 January, followed by a Q&A featuring Clapton and director Lili Fini Zanuck. The documentary is currently available on Showtime via streaming and on demand.
The OST will be available in 2CD and 4LP editions, as well as digital formats, and comprises 32 tracks that embrace Clapton’s varied and distinguished career. The LP version will be released on 20 July. The album includes tracks by the Yardbirds, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominos, The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, Muddy Waters and Clapton’s solo work.
Five tracks on the collection are previously unreleased. These include a 17-minute version of Cream’s ‘Spoonful,’ recorded at the Los Angeles Forum in October 1968, during the trio’s Goodbye tour. Two are by Derek and the Dominos: ‘High,’ taped during the 1971 sessions at Olympic Studios for the group’s unreleased second album; the song was re-recorded for Clapton’s 1975 album There’s One In Every Crowd. The second Dominos track is a cover of Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Little Wing.’ recorded live in the band’s late set at the Fillmore East on 24 October 1970.
The album also offers two unreleased Clapton tracks from 1974. These are the first-ever release of the full-length recording of his worldwide hit version of Bob Marley’s ‘I Shot The Sheriff,’ recorded during the sessions for 461 Ocean Boulevard; and a live performance of Chuck Berry’s ‘Little Queenie,’ captured at at Eric’s concert at Long Beach Arena, California in July 1974 during his tour backing 461 Ocean Boulevard.
Additionally, the OST has two alternative mixes that were made for Clapton’s self-titled debut solo album of 1970. There were two mixes of the album, one by Delaney Bramlett and Tom Dowd in Los Angeles and the other by Clapton himself, in London. Clapton’s mixes of ‘After Midnight’ and ‘Let It Rain’ are the two inclusions.
Pre-order the Life In 12 Bars OST here.
Explore our Eric Clapton Artist Page.
The full track listing for the OST is as follows:
1. Big Bill Broonzy: Backwater Blues (4.07) The Big Bill Broonzy Story 1957
2. Muddy Waters: My Life Is Ruined (2.38) Chess single 1953
3. Muddy Waters: I Got Mojo Working (4.28) Live At Newport Jazz Festival 1960
4. The Yardbirds: I Wish You Would (2.19) – studio version
5. The Yardbirds: For Your Love (2.30) For Your Love 1965
6. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers: Steppin’ Out (2.29) John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton 1966
7. John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers: All Your Love (3.37) John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton 1966
8. Cream: I Feel Free (2.57) Fresh Cream 1966
9. Cream: Strange Brew (2.50) Disraeli Gears 1967
10. Cream: Sunshine of Your Love (4.12) – studio version
11. Aretha Franklin: Good to Me As I Am To You (3.58) Lady Soul / Recorded on December 16 and 17, 1967
12. Cream: Crossroads live (4.18) Wheels Of Fire / Recorded 10 March 1968 at Winterland, San Francisco, CA16
13. The Beatles: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (4.45) The Beatles / Recorded 5–6 September 1968
14. Cream: Badge (2.48) Goodbye / Recorded October 1968 at IBC Studios in London
15. Cream: White Room live (5.41) Live Cream II / recorded October 4, 1968 at the Oakland Coliseum Arena
16. Cream: Spoonful (17.27) live from Goodbye tour – LA Forum October 19, 1968 previously unreleased
17. Blind Faith: Presence Of The Lord (4.52) – studio version DISC TWO
1. Delaney & Bonnie & Friends featuring Eric Clapton: Comin’ Home (7.51) Live at Fairfield Halls
2. Eric Clapton: After Midnight (3.25) alternate mix from Eric Clapton (first album) 1970
3. Eric Clapton: Let It Rain (5.00) alternate mix from Eric Clapton (first album) 1970
4. Derek and The Dominos: High (3.10) (Olympic Studios, April 1971) Derek and The Dominos album previously unreleased
5. George Harrison: My Sweet Lord (4.44) All Things Must Pass 1970
6. Derek and The Dominos: Thorn Tree In The Garden (2.55) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
7. Derek and The Dominos: Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out (5.01) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
8. Derek and The Dominos: Bell Bottom Blues (5.08) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
9. Derek and The Dominos: Layla (7.10) Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 1970
10. Derek and The Dominos: Little Wing (6.11) Live At The Fillmore 1970
11. Derek and The Dominos: Got To Get Better In A Little While (6.05) – studio version
12. Eric Clapton: I Shot The Sheriff (6.54) previously unreleased full length version from 461 Ocean Blvd 1970
13. Eric Clapton: Little Queenie live (6.00) Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, July 19/20, 1974 previously unreleased
14. Eric Clapton: Mainline Florida (4.08) 461 Ocean Boulevard 1974
15. Eric Clapton: Tears In Heaven (4.31) – studio version