The release of the retrospective marks the upcoming birthday of the master song interpreter and “Chairman of the Board,” who was born 105 years ago next week, on December 12, 1915. It also celebrates the 60th anniversary of his formation of his own record company, Reprise Records.
Reprise Rarities Volume 1 features 13 tracks from his own years on the label, many of which are making their debut appearance digitally. Sinatra’s role as a pioneer of the artist-led company represented a highly innovative and adventurous business model in 1960. He was a pacesetter in the concept, which became much more commonplace in later years, of artists having greater control over the creation and marketing of their music.
The Reprise Records roster over its 60-year span has included not only many of Sinatra’s own most memorable recordings, but releases by Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Bing Crosby, Nancy Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix, the Kinks, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Green Day, and Michael Bublé.
Plans call for more volumes of Frank Sinatra: Reprise Rarities to be released in 2021. Also this month, SiriusXM’s long-running and highly popular Siriusly Sinatra channel will be premiering and airing an exclusive Sinatra: Reprise Rarities special, at SiriusXM Ch. 71.
The full, digital Frank Sinatra: Reprise Rarities Volume 1 tracklist is:
1. In the Blue of Evening – March 21, 1961
2. As You Desire Me – November 20, 1961
3. Don’t Take Your Love From Me – November 21, 1961
4. Name It and It’s Yours – November 22, 1961
5. Come Waltz with Me – January 17, 1962
6. Everybody’s Twistin’ – February 27, 1962
7. I Left My Heart in San Francisco – August 27, 1962
8. You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me – February 21, 1963
9. Come Fly with Me – October 11, 1965
10. I’ll Never Smile Again – October 11, 1965
11. Younger Than Springtime – September 20, 1967
12. Everything Happens To Me – September 24, 1974
13. Just As Though You Were Here – September 24, 1974