Janet Jackson Announces 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Of ‘The Velvet Rope’
The new version features 10 bonus tracks available on streaming platforms for the first time.
A new deluxe edition of Janet Jackson’s Grammy-winning, national and international chart-topper The Velvet Rope will be released on Friday (October 7), exactly 25 years since its debut. The new version will feature no fewer than ten bonus tracks that become available on streaming platforms for the first time, including much-sought B-sides and remixes. Among these are the rare “Accept Me” and “God’s Stepchild,” and the collection also hosts numerous remixes that were previously only available on CD singles.
The mixes include Teddy Riley’s TNT Remix of “I Get Lonely” featuring BLACKstreet; the J. Dilla (Ummah Jay Dee) remix of “Got ‘Til It’s Gone”; and Timbaland and Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott’s remix of “Go Deep.” Club mixes of various tracks are also included by David Morales & Frankie Knuckles, Masters at Work, Tony Moran, Jason Nevins, and Tony Humphries.
In tandem with Friday’s reissue, remastered versions of Jackson’s music videos for “Go Deep,” “I Get Lonely,” “You,” “Got ’Til It’s Gone,” and “Together Again [Deeper Remix].” will also become available to watch on YouTube in HD for the first time ever.
The album, produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis for Flyte Tyme Productions Inc. and Ms. Jackson, embraced her fearless songwriting themes of female sexuality, domestic violence, and mental health, through the lens of a black woman. It debuted at No.1 on the Billboard 200 and won a plethora of multi-platinum, platinum, and gold certifications around the world, also winning a place among Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.
The Velvet Rope also contained the Billboard Hot 100 No.1 “Together Again,” the Top 3 hit “I Get Lonely,” and other hugely popular tracks such as “Go Deep” and “Got ‘Til It’s Gone,” The latter song, which sampled Joni Mitchell’s 1970 staple “Big Yellow Taxi,” featured both Mitchell and Q-Tip, and won a Grammy for Best Music Video, Short Form.
Pre-order the deluxe edition of Janet Jackson’s The Velvet Rope, which is released on Friday (October 7).
The Velvet Rope: Deluxe Edition
1. Interlude -Twisted Elegance
2. Velvet Rope [feat. Vanessa-Mae]
4. Got ‘Til It’s Gone [feat. Q-Tip & Joni Mitchell]
5. Interlude – Speaker Phone
6. My Need
7. Interlude – Fasten Your Seatbelts
8. Go Deep
9. Free Xone
10. Interlude – Memory
11. Together Again
12. Interlude – Online
14. Interlude – Full
15. What About
16. Every Time
17. Tonight’s The Night
18. I Get Lonely
19. Rope Burn
21. Interlude – Sad
23. Can’t Be Stopped
24. Accept Me [Bonus Track] *
25. God’s Stepchild [Bonus Track] *
1. I Get Lonely (TNT Remix Edit) with BLACKstreet *
2. Got ‘Til It’s Gone (Ummah Jay Dee’s Revenge Mix) *
3. Go Deep (Timbaland/Missy Remix) featuring Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott *
4. Together Again (Jimmy Jam Deeper Mix) *
5. Every Time (Jam & Lewis Disco Mix)
6. I Get Lonely (Jam & Lewis Feel My Bass Mix) *
7. Got ‘Til It’s Gone (David Morales & Frankie Knuckles Def Club Mix) *
8. Together Again (Tony Moran 12” Club Mix) *
9. Go Deep (Masters at Work Thunder Mix) *
10. Together Again (Tony Humphries Club Mix Edit)
11. I Get Lonely (Jason vs. Janet The Club Remix)
12. Go Deep (Masters At Work Vocal Deep Disco Dub)
13. Got ‘Til It’s Gone (Armand Van Helden Bonus Beats)
* = * = new to streaming