Eric Clapton’s ‘461 Ocean Boulevard’: Florida’s Most Famous Address?

Eric Clapton’s 461 Ocean Boulevard gave “Slowhand” his first chart-topping LP in the US

Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard

On 20 July 1974, Eric Clapton‘s 461 Ocean Boulevard entered the Billboard album chart and on 17 August his creative and personal comeback was complete. The record moved to No.1 on that date to give “Slowhand” his first chart-topping US LP. It went on to stay there for a full month.

The house featured on the album’s cover was indeed at 461 Ocean Boulevard, in the town of Golden Beach (population 1,301), Florida, in the north east corner of Miami-Dade County, where Eric lived while making the album. Bill Gates and Ricky Martin also have homes in this upscale community. The current house at the famous address is not the one that Clapton lived in, having been rebuilt, but since it came to fame many fans have visited the street, and still do. He recorded 461 at Criteria studios between April and May 1974, where, in 1970, he had recorded Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs with Derek and the Dominos.

So far in his illustrious career, Clapton has returned to the top of the American album bestseller list twice, with 1992’s Unplugged, which made No.1 the following year, and From The Cradle in 1994. On the other side of the Atlantic, 461 peaked at No. 3 and EC would not rule the album chart in the UK until From The Cradle did the trick.

In the US in 1974, Clapton could do no wrong. This album confirmed that he was well and truly back the troubles that had disrupted his life in the early part of the 1970s. It was also the record that contained his only No. 1 single there. His cover of Bob Marley and the Wailers’ ‘I Shot The Sheriff’ would make it even more of a landmark year for Eric when it hit the summit in September.

Recorded at the suggestion of band member George Terry, the song features backing vocals (as there were throughout the album) by Yvonne Elliman, and would later be voted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. Towards the end of the year, Eric’s remake of the Johnny Otis rock ‘n’ roll chestnut ‘Willie And The Hand Jive’ was also released as a single, hitting the American top 30.

The core 461 band also included players who were either already Clapton diehards or would become so, including Carl Radle (bass), Dick Sims (keyboards), George Terry (guitar) and Jamie Older (drums). The album, produced by studio master Tom Dowd, also featured backing vocals and harmonica by a young woman called Marcy Levy, later to co-write ‘Lay Down Sally’ and other songs with Clapton, before finding fame in the 1990s as Marcella Detroit in Shakespear’s Sister.

Eric Clapton’s 461 Ocean Boulevard can be bought here.

Download-Stream-Buy

1. William Pawson

August 17, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Loved this album when it came out. I had already heard the song by Bob Marley at the Club Jamaica in Toronto. Eric’s version blew me away as did the whole album. Brings back great memories for me

2. jovan

August 18, 2015 at 7:12 am

no com

3. Kirk Hosie

August 26, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I have followed Eric from the yardbirds to wherever he goes simply put he is the one and only SLOHAND, may he live to play far past this life so we may be blessed with his music into eternity!

4. David A. Drotar

August 27, 2015 at 11:36 am

” In my opinión, Eric Clapton Is a Master of the Blues and has done so much for music. I am captivated by his guitar playing. His Crossroads Antiqua Center Is a way of knowing he cares about his fellow Musicians and friends. I don’t usually say this but I love Eric Clapton:) Xo, David A. Drotar.

5. phil oats

September 10, 2015 at 4:12 am

comeback was great for about 6 years then it was all downhill and bland for good.

6. David Parker

August 17, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Yeah, love that album. Very soulful.

By the way, it’s Carl Radle, not Ladle.

7. David Parker

August 17, 2016 at 2:59 pm

And the drummer was Jamie Oldaker, not Older.

8. Chuck Ross

August 17, 2016 at 5:10 pm

…great LP and great piece of property.

As a surfer from Hallandale Beach, which dovetails with Golden Beach, and having a few friends who lived there, I’ve caught a lot of swell on the mile of beach behind 461 Ocean Blvd.

As a truck driver for a lumber/bldg. materials company outside of Port Everglades , I brought a lot of material to that property for it’s renovation.

In fact, the first time I was ever detained by police was in Golden Beach by GBPD; it’s a bit of an ‘exclusive community’, speed-TRAP.

9. Ramanarayanan.P

August 18, 2016 at 10:51 am

It was his ‘ Swing Low Sweet Chariot’ that captivated me in 1975. He reached his pinnacle in his album ‘Unplugged’. Master guitarist. No doubt.

10. Ian Cannen

August 18, 2017 at 4:03 am

I have followed EC from his early days. He has been my favourite since I was 16 & now I’m 65 & of course he still is

11. John wiser

August 19, 2017 at 7:13 am

Tom Doud was the producer for AM records who introducered Dwayne to Eric. He produced both groups and he took Eric to the allmand bros concert in miami

12. John wiser

August 19, 2017 at 7:13 am

13. Tommy Devine

August 19, 2017 at 7:49 am

My favourite song on the LP -Please be with me, which was written by an artist name of Cowboy – beautiful

14. Tommy Devine

August 19, 2017 at 7:52 am

Please be with me – my favourite song on this LP, written by Cowboy?

15. Scott Lorencen

August 17, 2018 at 9:37 pm

An excellent release from EC. “Let It Grow” is a standout tune & just one of many great songs on it, I say.