Donda is officially Kanye West’s fastest album to reach one billion streams on Spotify, according to new statistics from Chart Data.
Donda arrived amidst a headline-grabbing album rollout, that included many high-profile (and some controversial) guests.
“West is still one of the most influential pop stars of the century, but multidisciplinary spectacle is more his goal than music now, and he isn’t the star of his own 10th album,” writes the New York Times.
Following the album’s digital-only release on August 29, Donda took the top spot with 20,000 chart sales. 91 percent of its week, one total is streaming equivalent sales, with the remaining 9 percent being downloads. In total, Donda secured 33.4 million streams across its 27 tracks.
Donda is the longest album to top the chart this decade, clocking in at 27 songs and almost 109 minutes. In other Kanye news, he recently announced that he officially changed his legal name to Ye.
Last month, it was announced that Jeen-yuhs, the new documentary about Kanye West, will premiere on Netflix in 2022, charting his career path to global superstar.
The “three-act” documentary was announced on Saturday (September 25) during the streaming platform’s TUDUM livestream event, which previewed films and TV shows set to air in the coming months.
Jeen-yuhs was co-directed by Coodie Simmons and Chike Ozah – known as Coodie and Chike – and follows West over the course of 21 years. The documentary shows the rapper in his early days trying to break through and continues on as he becomes a hip-hop icon and successful businessman.
On September 2, Kanye West shared the intense music video for the album cut “Come To Life.” The “Come To Life” music video stars West and features appearances from Kim Kardashian, as well. In the visual, the rapper’s vocals pour over the view of a replica of his childhood home before flashing to West sitting alone in a room before the entire setting goes ablaze, himself included. At another moment, a veiled Kardashian moves slowly across an intricately designed floor juxtaposed with other attendees moving in the opposite direction draped in black robes.